The purpose of this technical section (TS) shall be to:
- Maintain and promote industry awareness of geomechanics-related issues and technologies.
- Provide a forum through which technical professionals and academics in the area of geomechanics can share knowledge, experiences, and best practices.
- Provide a forum where geomechanics users or service purchasers can learn about the technology of geomechanics, current state-of-the-art, and sources of additional information.
- Enhance geomechanics technical competencies that meet the needs of the petroleum industry.
- Foster cooperation and discussions, amongst individuals are well as between professional organizations, regarding key geomechanics issues and technologies.
The TS will accomplish its mission through the transfer of knowledge at monthly meetings, conference calls, events and/or other related activities. The TS shall be self-governing within the limitations of SPEI’s Constitution and the policies established by the SPE Board of Directors.
The jurisdiction of this technical section will encompass the subject of geomechanics and its applications in combining geology, geophysics, petrophysics, reservoir engineering, drilling engineering, completion engineering, and production data with geomechanics to build an integrated understanding of the mechanics of subsurface formations.