If you have not already done so, please 'Sign In' to your SPE.org account in the upper right-hand corner; you will then be returned to this page with the 'Apply Today!' button visible.
SPE coordinates 14 regional student paper contests at the Undergraduate, Master's, and PhD level. Students compete against other students from their region for the opportunity to advance to the International Student Paper Contest, held during the Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition (ATCE).
The following role is available for volunteers for the Rocky Mountain North America Regional Student Paper Contest:
- Presentation Judges (Masters and PhD division)
- Judges will need a stable internet connection, webcam, and microphone, and be available for a maximum of three hours on Saturday 29 May 2021 to listen to and judge the presentations by the finalists from the Abstract phase. The winner of the division will on to compete in the Virtual International Competition, and be awarded $500 USD.
We are currently seeking a minimum of three judges to meet the minimum requirements needed to run the program. (Total number of judges required may change).
The Rocky Mountain North America Regional Student Paper Contest is organized to provide SPE Student Members residing in the Rocky Mountain Region the opportunity to present original ideas pertaining to the Petroleum Industry. The competition is open to any SPE Student Member in the region, including but not limited to members at the following institutions: The University of Utah, Brigham Young University, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Colorado School of Mines, Montana Tech, University of Wyoming, and the University of North Dakota.
This year students will compete in a single division, combined for Masters, and PhD students. Students will have a total of 20 minutes to present and 10 minutes for questions from the judges.
The competition is scheduled to take place on Saturday 19 May 2021, over Zoom.
SPC volunteers must be:
- Approved by the SPE Staff responsible for the organization of the contest
- An SPE member in good standing (renewed membership for 2020)
- Judges must hold a minimum of the corresponding degree for the division in which they will be judging
- Judges must be available for a maximum of three hours on Saturday 29 May 2021 from 9am to Noon Denver/Calgary time.
- Preferred previous experience in:
- Similar style contests
- Presenting at SPE Conferences
- Program selection committees for SPE Conferences
- Post-Secondary Faculty Member
- Personal interest in developing university students
- Effective communicator
Regional Competition Judge Expectations:
- Participate on the day of the contest to observe the presentations and score the students based on the criteria provided
- The competition will take a maximum of three hours on Saturday 29 May 2021 from 9am to Noon Denver/Calgary time.
- Read four papers before the competition.
- Ask any questions of the student following the presentation
- Discuss any tie-breaker situations with the other judges to agree on a winner
- Provide students with feedback to assist them with the continuous development of their presentation skills
- Participate in debriefing session(s) as requested following the contest
The competition will take a maximum of three hours on Saturday 29 May 2021 from 9am to Noon Denver/Calgary time.*Note: Judges will be expected to fund their own travel and accommodation in order to participate