User Controls are added to display on webpages through the Navigation Admin page on the Content side and are identifiable by the following icon
Example of Adding a User Control content item below:
Example: How to add "Announcements" User control to the home page:
STEP ONE: Create new content item
|1. Highlight the Home Page to display the content items on the right.
2. Highlight the page UNDER which you want the new content item to show.
3. Click NEW to create a new content item.
||1. Type name of the User Control that will name the content item in the Content Library
2. Show? Checkbox—will display as text on webpage (leave UNCHECKED)
3. Select the position number in the layout (which position on the page)
4. Hide Content? Checkbox—will hide the content item from the users of the webpage, but will still be seen in the Content Library (LEAVE UNCHECKED)
5. Keywords that can be embedded in the page (unseen) for search engines to use in search results
6. Content is available to?— select “Everyone”
7. CSS Class—modifies the look and feel of the content item on the webpage
8. Select Type of content Item—select “User Control”
9. Type name of User Control—(Ensure that you type the User Control name EXACTLY as it appears in the “List of Commonly Used User Controls” using the correct capitalization and no spaces)
STEP TWO: Highlight the new User Control on the Content side and click EDIT.
STEP THREE: Parameters that can be applied to that User Control will now appear in the "Parameter List" on the "Edit/Enter Content page" for the new content item
STEP FOUR: Double-click on any of the Parameters that you want to add to this User Control. Fill in the appropriate values for each parameter between the parentheses " ".
For example, if you want 10 announcements to show, then type a 10 between the parentheses " " beside the Parameter called "Number to Show".
TIP: If you finish adding the User Control and Save, then it does not display correctly on the page, go back to the Parameters and ensure that each value follows the equals sign (=) without a space, and is in between parentheses (“ “), and that there is a space between each parameter.
More on Parameters