The SPE OKC Scholarship Committee aims to reward talent in aspiring young professionals interested in the oil and gas industry, petroleum engineering, or related disciplines. To this end, we invite applications for the SPE Student General Scholarship and SPE Student Dependent Scholarship, which award grants of $1500 to qualified individuals.
To apply for the general scholarship, a student must meet one of the following requirements:
- They must be a high school senior enrolled in the state of Oklahoma, interested in pursuing a career in oil and gas or a discipline relative to oil and gas; OR
- They must be an undergraduate student enrolled in a Petroleum Engineering or related program at an accredited university in Oklahoma; OR
- They must be a graduate student enrolled in a Petroleum Engineering or related program at an accredited university in Oklahoma.
To apply for the dependent scholarship, a student must meet the following requirements:
- One of your parents is a professional SPE member in the OKC SPE Section.
- You must be a full-time high school, undergraduate, or graduate student in any major (does not have to be related to the petroleum industry)
*Note: we define a discipline relative to oil and gas as one of the following:
- a STEM discipline,
- a business discipline with application to oil and gas,
- a social science related in some way to oil and gas,
- or a humanities discipline related in some way to oil and gas
Academic disciplines such as history, sociology, anthropology, business, environmental studies, etc. qualify as related to Petroleum Engineering as long as the student is researching a phenomenon related to oil and gas.
How to Apply
Applicants must fill out and submit the following documents to be considered:
- Confirmation of eligibility & basic information (use the form here)
- A resume listing academic achievement, extracurricular and leadership activities, or interest in the oil and gas industry (use the template here)
- A 500 word essay that describes the applicant’s merits
- Two letters of recommendation (use the form here)
The first three documents must be completed by the applicant and the letters of recommendation should be submitted by the recommender. Please send your materials to SPE.OKC.Scholarships@gmail.com no later than May 1, 2020 in order to be considered.
Deadline: May 1, 2020