Notice of Opportunity
The SPE OKC Scholarship Committee aims to reward talent in aspiring young professionals interested in the oil and gas industry, petroleum engineering, or related disciplines. To this end, we invite applications for the SPE Student General Scholarship and SPE Student Dependent Scholarship.
To apply for the general scholarship, a student must meet one of the following requirements:
- They must be a high school senior enrolled in the OKC SPE Section, interested in pursuing a career in oil and gas or a discipline relative to oil and gas; OR
- They must be an undergraduate student enrolled in a Petroleum Engineering or related program at an accredited university supported by the OKC SPE Section; OR
- They must be a graduate student enrolled in a Petroleum Engineering or related program at an accredited university supported by the OKC SPE Section.
To apply for the dependent scholarship, a student must meet the following requirements:
- One of your parents is a current professional SPE member or a member in transition in the OKC SPE Section.
- You must be a full-time high school, undergraduate, or graduate student in any major (does not have to be related to the petroleum industry)
*Note: we define a discipline relative to oil and gas as one of the following:
- a STEM discipline,
- a business discipline with application to oil and gas,
- a social science related in some way to oil and gas,
- or a humanities discipline related in some way to oil and gas
Academic disciplines such as history, sociology, anthropology, business, environmental studies, etc. qualify as related to Petroleum Engineering as long as the student is researching a phenomenon related to oil and gas.
How to Apply
Applicants must fill out this form containing the following information:
- Confirmation of eligibility & basic information
- A resume listing academic achievement, extracurricular and leadership activities, or interest in the oil and gas industry
- A 500 word essay that describes the applicant’s merits. In your essay make sure to address the following questions:
- Why is the oil and gas industry so prominent in Oklahoma?
- Comment on the intersection between the oil and gas industry and modern energy.
- Two letters of recommendation (signed)
All 4 documents must be completed and submitted before the deadline for the application to be considered. Please submit only PDF documents.
Deadline: May 31, 2022